Starting A Hydroponic/Aquaponic Garden: Part 2 Troubleshooting

Starting A Hydroponic/Aquaponic Garden: Part 2 Troubleshooting

This week I learned how not to build a hydroponic garden.  First, I tried to use my filter to put the water in the garden.  This was suggested on a site I found, and it ended up being disastrous.  I had to carve out a place for the filter.  Which led to breaking a box cutter blade.

IMG_1652

I pried it out, and did a test run that seemed very successful.   So, I filled the container with coconut coir, but alas the coconut coir leaking out of the filter hole.  I fixed that with the aid of an old t-shirt and some rocks, but then I realized the water output was way too much, and the garden would flood in 2.5 minutes.  Extra drainage holes did not fix this problem.  I had to buy a pump and a new container.  The filter will be used as a way to aerate the water, and the new small pump will get the water to the garden.  Meanwhile the air pump broke, so I ordered a replacement for that too.

I have figured out a functional set-up which I will beautify as a final step (yes I used empty cat food cans to make it so the garden wouldn’t be at an angle):

IMG_1741

I’m at a stopping point for a bit because we have decided to rearrange our house.  So this project is on hold until we can get that done.  In the meantime the kids and I are making a light box to grow some plants, and we will be starting a straw bale garden in the backyard.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s